Sheffield Magistrates’ Court heard that, on 16 January 2018, the 21-year-old worker was feeding lead billets into a lead stamping machine when his hand became caught. The little finger on his right hand was cut to the bone and later had to be partially amputated. He also suffered cuts and subsequent scarring to the ring finger on the same hand.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the machine was inadequately guarded and there was access to dangerous parts of the machine. A second similar machine was found to have the same guarding deficiencies.